Thursday, May 3, 2012

New Breakfast Fave

Eating healthy is an important part of running.  Ok, its an important part of being alive.  Yet I find it so difficult to do.  I'm not a big junk food addict, nor am I big snacker, but I am a total carb glutton.  And I don't really eat my veggies.  Plus in a pinch, I would probably opt for a snickers bar over a handful of almonds.

Baby steps.  I'm changing things where I can, when I can.  I find a new healthy food I  like and I try to incorporate it into my diet consistently before looking for the next healthy snack.  If I try to change too much too quickly, I get frustrated and eat a whole bag of chocolate.

For the past week I've been trying a new yogurt, one that I made up and mix up myself.  Its not difficult nor is it particularly inventive, just something that my body was craving.  So far, I like it.

The recipe is this:
  • a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt (I like Chobani)
  • a handful of frozen blueberries (also make an awesome snack by themselves)
  • a couple squirts of honey
  • a pinch of ground flaxseed
  • an itty-bitty drop of minced ginger
My measurements are scientific, I know.



Heat the frozen blueberries in the microwave for about two minutes (you want them kinda mushy, or at least I do).  Add honey to taste, and the tiniest little bit of ginger (seriously.  A little bit is too much.  You just want a tiny bit, unless you are a ginger junkie).  Combine the flaxseed and the yogurt.  Add the blueberry-honey-ginger mix.  Enjoy!

For us this is cheaper than buying blueberry yogurt because we use almost all these ingredients for other dishes as well (flaxseed pancakes, yum!).  

What homemade snacks do you enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment